Thursday, August 03, 2006

Roots Steakhouse: first impressions

I went to Roots Steakhouse in Summit on Tuesday night with high expectations. There is no good steak-chop-seafood house in all of the Union/Morris/Somerset County area that I know of and with Roots being owned by Harvest Restaurant Group which manages four other terrific restaurants in the area I had high hopes.

Roots more than met my expectations, it exceeded them. It is hard to believe that this restaurant has only been open for a few days. The service was flawless. The food arrived quickly and was cooked exactly to order. I never had the feeling that they were still getting their act together.

More importantly, the food was outstanding. I started with the beefsteak tomato salad with caramelized onions, olive oil and sea salt, garnished with fresh basil. The tomato is cut up, dressed up and then stacked back up. I deconstructed it and ate it in slices. The mix of the sweet onion and the salt and that fresh basil helped the tomato which was just shy of its peak. Still this was a very good salad and a good way to start a dinner, especially on a hot night.

For my entrée I had the 16 oz. dry aged sirloin steak. I ordered it cooked rare and it came out cooked rare with a nice outer crust. It was also absolutely delicious. The same quality steak I’d expect to have at a top flight steakhouse in NYC like Sparks. The steak is $35.95 and comes a la carte. For a side dish I had creamed spinach which was also excellent. I have to admit, I was trying to recreate the meal I’d order if I was at Peter Luger in Brooklyn: tomato and onion salad, rare steak, creamed spinach. There are no hash browns on the menu but there are mashed potatoes and also a “colossal” baked potato. All side dishes are $5.95. After having a steak this good it will be hard to justify driving back to Brooklyn anytime soon.

If you’re planning on going I’d suggest calling for a reservation, (908)273-0027. The restaurant was crowded on Tuesday night. Very crowded when you consider it was their third night being open and that it had been 100 degrees on Tuesday. I got the last seat at the bar at 7:15 and I was among several diners who had their meal there. This had two distinct advantages: first, was the high quality of service I received from the bartenders who are a credit to the establishment. Second, the diner sitting next to me gave me one of his lamb chops, a thick loin chop cooked medium and, again, nicely seared on the outside. One of the best lamp chops I’ve every eaten in a restaurant and since you get three of these chops in the order the value is outstanding.

Roots Steakhouse is an expensive restaurant but I think it is a very good value. I don’t think you could serve food of this quality and charge low prices. This isn’t Arthur’s and it isn’t the Outback. Maybe the only hope of keeping the line from running around the block will be the pricing. With a menu with such great choices, steak, chops, 3-5 lb. lobsters, raw bar etc. its hard to imagine this place won’t be packed every night. The area certainly can afford it and the area certainly has been longing for this type of place. I plan on going back and soon. See you at the bar.

14 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds good. do they have a porterhouse for 2?

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you see the wine list?

Rosie Saferstein
Table Hopping With Rosie
New Jersey Monthly
www.njmonthly.com
e-mail: saferstein@att.net
Member of IACP, NYACP, AFJ, and The James Beard Foundation

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger dbrociner said...

Tommy: not sure about the steak for two. When I had the conversation with the owner, see previous post, he mentioned a steak for two. Not sure if I saw it on the menu. No website yet, so I can't check.

RS: yes, I saw the wine list. Very similar to 3 West. Long on American Reds, little for under $50. They do have some nice choices by the glass. I drank scotch. They pour a nice drink.

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice review, good to know.
I'm curious though, you note a lack of steak houses in the Morris area. Do you not like Rod's in Convent Station?

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger dbrociner said...

Meredith, thanks for the nice words. I have not been to Rod's in a very long time but to use a baseball analogy Rod's is a AA team compared to Roots being in the Major Leagues. Just an opinion.

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge baseball fan, so I can appreciate the analogy!
Rod's has improved in recent years, in my opinion (then again I used to work there). I'd suggest trying it again.
But I see your point-- Sparks is a favorite of mine and since you compared Roots favorably to Sparks, I'll definitely be trying it out!

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger dbrociner said...

Meredith, I will put Rod's back on my list but it might be awhile before I make it there. Between Roots Steakhouse and the burger at Copeland, I've got red meat pretty well covered for now.

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Copelands is another favorite of mine. Also good to know the bar dining is good-- I tend to eat at the bar when I'm by myself on my way home from work. Do they have TVs there? (Sorry to eat up your blog with comments!)

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger dbrociner said...

No problem Meredith, at least you aren't posting some link to a "home sauna". I've got to change my comment rules to keep out things like that. Anyway, yes there are tv's on one side of the bar at Copeland. The side closest to the parking lot. The other side of the bar faces the dinning room and I don't think they wanted to have the tv's there.

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, but I know they have TVs at Copeland. I meant to ask about Roots-- also, do they have SNY? ;)

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger dbrociner said...

Oops. No TV at Roots. No TV in any Harvest Group resto that I can think of.

SNY? I'm a baseball on the radio guy myself. Even as a Yankee fan I'd be the first to say the Mets have the best radio team in NYC and have ever since Bob Murphy first stepped up to the mike.

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to consume your blog with these comments!
I tend to prefer bar dining with TVs when dining solo-- especially if it means getting out of the car and missing the FAN broadcast (not to mention how insufferable Hernandez is as a commentator on tv!). Unfortunately, a lot of area restaurants use satellite which means most do not have SNY. I certainly don't mind the Yankees, but with the year the Mets are having, I can't bear to miss a game. Any recs for restaurants with nice bar dining and TVs are appreciated!

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Decent food - awful service

Live in town and will not return.

Not a pleasant experience for a birthday dinner.

Hostess should be playing in the minors - extremely rude.

Waitstaff pushy.

Food is not bad, but I would take the train to NYC for better.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger WALLY said...

Food was excellent, waitstaff very efficient. atmosphere very "New York Steak House".

The bartender "Dan" was an odd-duck. he was overly solicitous to my fiance' and asked alot of questions. A nearby patron (a woman) suggested she not answer him as he is known to be nosy and a gossip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home