Saturday, July 08, 2006

Coca Cola Blak and Hunt's Ketchup

Cleaned out my refrigerator the other day and threw out the two remaining bottles of a four pack of the new Coca Cola Blak that I’d bought. Two bottles left because I wanted to make sure that the stuff was as wretched the second time around as it was the first. Bought this when it first came out on the theory that anything that sounded as bad as a mix of Coke and coffee might actually be good. Kept the rest of that four pack around for another couple of months thinking maybe the stuff would gain some notoriety the way those smokeless cigarettes from RJ Reynolds did back in the 1980’s. Then I remembered that this product came from the same people who gave us the New Coke and threw the rest out to make room for something edible.

Found this great cartoon about Coca Cola Blak through Google images, thought I’d share it with you:



Speaking of the New Coke, Cook’s Illustrated ran an article on ketchup in their latest issue and named Hunt’s the best tasting ketchup on the market. Having always been a Heinz man I’m suspicious. I know that the folks at Cook’s Illustrated are well intentioned, that they have no axe to grind, no dog in the fight, etc. but I also know that Pepsi always outperformed Coke in those taste tests and that the people at Coca Cola were so worried by this that they benched the world’s greatest soft drink and replaced it with some sweet swill that had, apparently beaten Pepsi in the same kind of tests.

I’m an open minded guy. I’m willing to change. I’ll buy a bottle of Hunt’s Ketchup. If I switch brands you’ll be the first to know.

2 Comments:

At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When it comes to ketchup, there is Heinz and then there is everything else.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger dbrociner said...

Mike, I couldn't have said it better myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home