Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Half Time, beer paradise in Poughkeepsie


There are several things to like about Half Time, Poughkeepsie’s beer mega store. First, of course, is the unbelievable selection of beer, over 1400 varieties. Second, is the mixed six pack policy; like a mixed case of wine except for a smaller quantity of beer. With so many varieties to choose from it’s nice to be able to do a little mixing and matching. Third and something that really sets Half Time apart is the availability of beer on draft for purchase. That’s purchase to drink at home not in the liquor store though it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a little tasting that goes on in the parking lot. This isn’t typical keg beer either. Its specialty brews from craft brewers, stuff you aren’t going to find in bottles even in a good liquor store. Here’s a list of examples from the Half Time website.

Here’s how that works: you buy a “growler” from Half Time, or you bring your own, and you fill it up every time you come in. A half gallon container costs somewhere between $10 and $20 depending on the beer and you thought there was no good reason to live in Poughkeepsie?

How do you shop in a store with 1400 beers when you live 100 miles away? You need a strategy; here’s mine. I look for a brewery I know makes a good product and that I can’t easily get at my favorite local liquor store and then I buy as many varieties as I can. This weekend it was Stoudt’s, a microbrewer from Pennsylvania. Taking advantage of that mix and match policy I picked up 5 different varieties in 2 six packs. Holiday weekend coming and I need to be ready. Only bought those 12 so don’t plan on inviting yourself over, okay?

I also picked up 2 four packs of the new Sam Adam’s historic beer collection. This looked interesting and like the kind of thing I wasn’t likely to find on every corner. Nice story about these beers here.

If you like good beer and you find yourself anywhere near Half Time be sure to make the trip. It’s worth a detour, even a lengthy one.

Half Time, 2290 Route 9, Poughkeepsie NY (845)462-5400

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home