Saturday, May 20, 2006

The $17 can of tuna fish: a lesson in retail marketing

I like the Zingerman’s catalog. I look forward to receiving it the way I look forward to getting all the food magazines I subscribe to. I think of Ari Weinzweig as the Richard Thalheimer of the food world. I even sent a $27 coffee cake to a friend’s mom as a get well gift. She, being old school, knew I’d been robbed, that even if it was the greatest coffee cake ever baked it couldn’t be worth the $42 including shipping that I’d paid. I was ignorant of this fact. I was charmed by Zingerman’s and I would have continued to be charmed and continued to shop there if it hadn’t been for a $17 can of tuna fish.

The tuna in question was Ortiz “Ventresca” tuna fish. A canned version of toro and written about in such a way by Mr.Weinzweig as to make not ordering a can almost an unthinkable act. Hell you could save $4 by ordering 4 cans for a measly $64 and this tuna was so good that I was actually considering doing this. Keep in mind that these prices are before shipping, so that $17 can of tuna is really a $20+ can of tuna by the time you get your hands on it.


The problem is that Ortiz sells Ventresca tuna fish in the supermarket. I found it in Wegman’s in Bridgewater, and I found it for $8.99, yeah, $8.99, a 47% savings over the Zingerman’s price. Now I’ll grant you that Zingerman’s probably doesn’t buy things at the same price that Wegman’s does and so they have to charge more but almost double?




Ari, you marketing genius, here’s a lesson: don’t try to hit homeruns on easily shopped items. I’ve learned this in my business. You can make a huge mark up on that coffee cake but you’ve got to be competitive on the tuna because when you get caught, and trust me with the internet you’re going to get caught, it raises doubts about everything else you sell.

By the way, that tuna is great; great for canned tuna that is. I’m not sure it’s worth even the $8.99 price for less than a pound but it was worth trying. Go to Zingerman’s, it’s a fun place to shop if you’re into food. Just think twice before buying anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home